Friday 27 May 2016

Do you have a class compost? By Lupe

Today Room 7 made our compost for our garden. Miss Chao brought some fresh cut grass from home in a container. Miss Chao divided us into four groups. One of the groups had to cut up some newspapers, the second group had to cut up the food scraps and the other two had to go outside and collect some brown leaves in a bag.

My group’s job was to cut up the food scraps. It was very hard to cut the banana skin so we used some scissors. We cut some small pieces of banana skin into the container. The browns group soon came back with a bag full of brown leaves and twigs. Two students from that group came to help us cut up some banana skins because there were a lot of banana skins.
Then the browns group went to chop up the twigs that they picked up while Miss Chao talked to the rest of the class about the process of decomposition. When we had combined all the materials together, it was time to mix them. We all had a turn. When it was my turn to mix, I could smell the fresh grass in the container. It was very hard to toss/mix the bottom layer because there were a lot of leaves.

My favourite part was when we all tossed the mixture to help it to decompose more quickly.
I am so excited about having a class COMPOST!

Learning Intention: We are learning to write a recount.
Success Criteria: I know I can do this when I follow the structure of a recount to write about my class making compost.

No comments:

Post a Comment