Sunday 4 December 2016

Sanding wood is hard! By Caleb

On Thursday 11th of November, Room 7 had a great time taking the pieces out for our glider and sanding it to make it smooth!


First we scored our pieces of the wood. It was very hard because the craft knife kept going out of the sharpie marker line. Scoring the back wings of the wood was very hard because the 1.5 millimetre wood was very fragile and it was very hard to keep the cutting line straight. After I completed scoring my pieces of wood, I put the blade through the lines so the piece that I had split would fall out. It took me a very long time because I was being very careful so that my pieces of wood would not split. 10 minutes later, I heard a crack and my piece of wood started splitted along the side.

Next, I  to Salome and asked her for what to do next. That was when I noticed my classmates were smoothing out their pieces of balsa wood. So I asked Salome and she gave me sandpaper too. Salome gave a sheet of sandpaper to use for sanding my pieces. It was rough and black, but rubbery on the other side. I quickly took the sandpaper and started sanding the pieces. It was a bit hard because the wood was very rough around the edges and the and the sandpaper kept slipping off the fuselage's side. However I had to wait for Tristan because I needed the craft knife to cut a part of the fuselage that wasn't split yet.
Image result for glider

After I smoothed out all the pieces out all the pieces the pieces of wood, I swiftly smoothed the fin, but it snapped in two like a cracker so I had to start again. When I finished carefully smoothing out the fin, it was time to pack up because it was the beginning of morning tea. Soon we had to say goodbye to Salome and we had to clean up as fast as the wind, then went out to play outside.


Getting our pieces ready for glueing was awesome! I wish we had more time so we could have started piecing them together. My favourite part of the day was sanding and getting our pieces ready for piecing together.

Learning Intention: We are learning to use descriptive language in our recount.
Success Criteria: I know I can do this when I use appropriate adjectives to describe the art lesson that we had on Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment